Growing up, I only knew of whipped cream that came out of a plastic container that said Cool Whip on it. I didn't realize that you could actually whip cream into real whipped cream until sometime in college. I think coconut whipped cream is better than "real" whipped cream. And this whipped cream is really so easy it should just be called cheating. If your sweet tooth starts screaming out for a fix, this can be made in a flash. You just need to have some coconut milk on hand. Please use the full-fat coconut milk, and for the love of God do not use light coconut milk!
- One can coconut milk or cream (cold from the fridge)
- 1-2 t. Stevia (depending on the level of your sweet tooth)
See, only two ingredients. I told you it was easy.
Whip the cream:
- Refrigerate the coconut milk in the fridge for a few hours. I just keep a can in the fridge so it's ready when I need it. This will cause the coconut cream to separate from the water.
- Turn the refrigerated can of coconut milk upside down. Open the can and pour out the coconut water (bonus points for you if you save this and use it in a smoothie). Scoop out the hardened coconut cream into a bowl. If you are using the coconut cream from Trader Joes there will only be a little bit of water.
- Add the stevia to the coconut cream and beat on high until stiff peaks form. They are mountain peaks of deliciousness.
- Store in the fridge and enjoy!
If you're having a sweet tooth attack, then by all means, just dig right in. But if you are enjoying your cream with a little more dignity, then serve it on my chocolate zucchini cake. Or to start your day off right, drop a spoonful into your coffee. Yep, that's right, it IS going to be a great day.